History

_TWM4149

History of Holy Spirit Church
Holy Ghost Church 1897-1980 – Holy Spirit Church 1980-Present
Centralia, Missouri

Catholics in the Centralia area were first served in 1857 by Fr. John J. Hogan, the first bishop of St. Joseph and later the first bishop of Kansas City Missouri. Parish records show that he celebrated sacraments at Allen, a small village north of Moberly in 1859 and Sturgeon from 1860-1865.

In later years, St. Stephen Church in Sturgeon and Holy Ghost Church were known as the “Prairie Queen Missions” and were attended by priests from various places including Mexico, Columbia, Moberly, Fulton and New Franklin.

By 1869, a Catholic Church was built in Sturgeon which was then closed so parishioners worshipped at Centralia or Moberly. According to Chancellor Vander Sander’s old directory, Centralia was established as a mission of Columbia in 1897. A wood-frame church erected through a generous donation, opened in Centralia in 1904.

 

In 1915, the church was listed for the first time as Holy Ghost in the official Catholic Directory. Various priests served the church from 1915-1938.

It is interesting to note in 1939 the address for the church was 623 S. Clark; in 1941, 412 S. Rollins. In 1943, 404 S Rollins became the address of the church.  _TWM4133The cornerstone of the church is inscribed as follows: For it was founded on a rock. Luke VI, 48. This Church is dedicated to God the Holy Spirit, May 25, 1941. The present church and rectory were built in 1941 for $16,000. The windows of the present church tell the gospel stories.

From 1942-1945, the parish operated a school. Until the arrival of Mill Hill Missionaries from Britain in 1951, the parish was attended by diocesan priests.

Holy Ghost offered the first priest to the new Diocese of Jefferson City in 1957, Father John W. Buchanan. The rectory and church was renovated and a new garage built in 1971, in 1981, the church name was officially changed from Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit. In 1981 Fr. Robl helped to organize the Knights of Columbus in this community. The official name is Fr. Raymond Weis council NO. 7841.

_TWM4145

In 1987, a multi-purpose building was constructed.In 1996, parishioners built a new altar, pulpit and outdoors, a grotto to Our Lady the rest on stones from Sturgeon. The parish celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the present church building on August 28, 1991. In 1999, Father J. James Offutt became pastor of Holy Spirit and continues as its pastor.

Masses previously were at different times for the summer and the winter. Schedule of Masses: Sunday’s June though Aug. at 7 and 9 am, Sunday’s Sept. though May at 8 and 10 am.

 

from Sunday July 6, 1941

from Sunday, June 23, 2013

from 1991

from 1903 First church built

St. Stephen Church & Chapel-Built in 1869 in Sturgeon, MO. Chapel was second church budding in Centralia

  from 2010 to 2012

Father Offutt and Bishop Gaydos

 

Priests who have served this Parish

Rev.  John J. Hogan Pioneer Priest
Rev. P.F. O’Reilly 1897-1898
Rt. Rev. C.E. Byrne 1898-1900
Rev. Aurthur O’Reilly 1900-1902
Rev. Wiltdam E. Randall 1902-1904 Built first church building
Rev. John B. Pleuss 1904-1908
Rev. Thomas J. Lloyd 1908-1915
Rev. Joseph Gilfillan 1916-1920
Rev. Peter S. Dempsey 1919  Assisted caring for this parish
Rev. Daniel Courtney 1921-1923 First Parish Pastor to reside in Centratda
Rev. Aloysius Canning 1923-1931
Rev. M.J. Connor 1931-1933
Rev. Wiltdam C Kunz 1933-1934
Rev. Karl Enig 1934-1938 Shot to death in old rectory
Rev. Aurthur B. Leibinger 1938-1943 Built present church and rectory in 1941
Rev. Lloyd Sultdvan 1943-1944
Rev. Francis Hyland 1944-1946 Administrator
Rev. Anthony J. Grellner 1946-1949
Rev. Jacob Noser 1949-1950 Administrator
Rev. Francis X. Reker 1950-1951
Rev. Francis Figil 1951 Administrator Mill Hill Fathers London, England
Rev. Anthony Schmidt 1951-1957 Mill Hill Fathers
Rev. Wiltdam Berkel 1957-1959
Rev. Henry Figge 1959
Rev. Wiltdam Savage 1959-1962
Rev. Wiltdam Forst 1962
Rev. Michael O’Donovan 1962-1965
Rev. Robert Wiesmann 1965-1966
Rev. Gotttdeb Steinwachs 1966-1971
Rev. Raymond Weis 1971-1979
Rev. Egene Robl 1979-1984 Administrator 1979
Rev. Patrick J. McMyler 1984          Never resided in Centralia
Rev. James Niemeyer 1984-1985 Administrator
Rev. Msgr. Charles H. Patterson 1985-1992 1924-2010 died
Rev. Frank Westhoff 1992
Rev. Russell Judge 1992-1995
Rev. Robert H. Fields 1995-1999
Rev. J James Offutt 1999-Present

404 S Rollins St, Centralia, MO 65240